#5PAPERS – Week 1 Day 1
by Nivek K Thompson
Here is Day 1’s article, using Jeffrey’s questions as a guide:
1.Reference to the Article
Johnson, Carolina and Gastil, John (2015) “Variations of Institutional Design for Empowered Deliberation,” Journal of Public Deliberation: Vol. 11: Iss. 1, Article 2.
- What attracted me to this Article?
Carolina’s work around macro impacts of democratic innovations (PB in particular) AND reference in title to ‘institutional design’.
- What is it about? (Problem / Purpose / Research Questions)
- empowerment as part of public deliberation processes – practice ahead of academic understanding of implications
- defn empowerment as having ‘binding and pre-determined authority or influence over policy outcomes’ p3
- ‘to improve our conceptualisation and understanding of empowered deliberation.’p7
- Where does this come from? (Literature / Theoretical Framework)
- intersection of theory and practice
- empowered deliberation = participatory goverance (see Wampler, 2012: 669)
- lit review considers critical & supportive perspectives:
- C – legitimacy of deliberative bodies; impact on process
- S – encourages participation & commitment; individual level impacts; improve outputs; encourages political elites to take processes seriously.
- What did they do? (Methodology & Method)
- look at examples of empowered deliberation
- develop a taxonomy of these processes – identify gaps in practice and study – aim to provide better model for what ‘engenders and sustains empowered deliberation’ p7
- ‘we hold that the normative desirability of empowered deliberation remains an empirical question, based on observation of its actual practice.’ p7
- distinguish b/w embedded and autonomous processes – interesting distinction particularly when considering empowerment
- What did they learn? (Results / Discussion)
identify 4 dimensions (quadrants) in design:
- embedded vs autonomous
- one off vs recurring
- provisional vs final decision-making
- local vs trans-local
*some quadrants are empty!
- What did I learn?
- they consider Canada Bay to be autonomous and Geraldton to be embedded (nope, they say it is a hybrid)
- do they equate autonomous with random selection – yes it appears so (see p12)
☐ how would these dimensions apply to other Australian cases? could we fill the gaps?